Auckland Restaurant Month has just ended, and I am super duper happy that I can now tick off just a few more places that I wanted to try but never have the chance.
If you have missed it this time, wait until next year August again as it is the only great chance for you to visit allllll the CBD restaurants you have been meaning to visit. There are special menus starting from $25 (some including wine!), $40, $55, and so on.
THE KIMCHI PROJECT
Their Auckland Restaurant month menu was quite basic though: options include tempura chicken bun (Bao) and char-grilled ginger & hoisin souvide pork ribs with grilled corn cob, pickles matched with a glass of Pencarrow wine.
We indeed went for something extra beyond their offer: Kimchi fried rice, soft shell crab and Penang prawn curry, which I thought was rather a bit better and as “must try” items.
We were a group of 4, and we ended up having a feast of food for only $25 each
For main, we had: Pork ribs, Beef Brisket, Beef Cheek, and Pulled Pork Shoulder.
For sides, we went all out with: Mac & Cheese, Mash chicken gravy, corn bread, baked beans, mustard slaw and potato salad.
Walked out with 2 take-away boxes !
WHITE + WONG’S
This is one of them hip & cool places that I always want to try in town. And I was super happy with heaps of yummy-in-my-tummy food. I went with 3 other friends hence we were able to try all of the items that they have got to offer on their restaurant month menu.
Entree: Prawn Crackers & Chilli Salt
- Fijian Style Kingfish Sashimi: heirloom tomatoes, chili, lime, coconut cream, coriander
- Buddha’s Delight: silken tofu, chili, shiitake, cashew nuts, bean sprouts, kombu
- Wagyu beef, shiitake & cumin shumai
- Prawn & Coriander dumpling
- Vegetarian wonton: gochujang, chinese cabbage, shiitake, tofu, sweet chili sauce
- 3 set of roti: bang bang Chicken, char sui pork, chilli eggplant – each served with slaw, coriander, mint, lime, soy & sesame dressing, crispy shallots, toasted almonds
We order 2 more extra dishes for the nite:
- Crispy soft shell crab, garlic, chilli, spring onion & Sichuan pepper
- Red curry of beef shin, coconut cream, almonds, fresh lime
Excellent dining out experience with delicious food, great service, cozy atmosphere with great prices, perfect sized portion even for each person or sharing plate. Definitely one of the best Asian Fusion place in town.
There will be another big event coming up soon – 2017 International Food & Moon Festival which happens on the 9th of Sept which will feature tasty international treats and fares from around the world as well as culturally rich, fun entertainment for the whole family. Until then !!!