Classic Dan Dan Noodles is made with fresh noodles with a layer of meat topping – which is made from either ground pork or beef cooked with preserved vegetable. There are many variations of this dish around the world actually, and mine is just one of them 🙂
- 2 pack of Shanghai-style noodles (cu mian) or udon if you cant find dry cu mian
- 3 tpns of sesame paste or peanut butter
- 50gr of preserved vegetable (sumiyakai)
- A handful of roasted peanuts
- 250gr of ground pork
- 2 tpns of chili oil
- 2tpns soy sauce
- 1tpns of Sichuan peppercorns
- Cooking oil, salt, sugar, pepper
- Fresh chopped spring onion for garnish
- Cook noodles in a large pot of cold boiling water and a bit of salt
- When boiled and noodles are cooked, drain, rinse under cold water again.
- Over medium heat saucepan, heat vegetable oil, add pork, season with salt + pepper+ soya sauce. Stir well then continue adding chili oil and Sichuan peppercorns. Season to taste
- Lower the heat until pork is cooked through and lightly browned, add in preserved vegetable stir well.
- Pour pork mixture over noodles; garnish with peanuts and chopped spring onion