Do not think I need to say much about this pleasant dish that all the 80s Southern Viet kids look forward to all year round and can only have it only for the first 3 days of Lunar New Year.
– 500gr of pork belly
– 10 eggs
– 2 tbsp of finely chopped shallot
– 2 tbsp of finely chopped garlic
– dark soya sauce
– salt, brown sugar
– Chopped scallion for garnish
– 1 can of coconut juice
– 1 large chilli
– Cut pork into smaller pieces.
– Marinated the meat with 2 tbsp of finely chopped shallot + 2 tbsp of finely chopped garlic ( I don’t have fresh garlic so used garlic powder) + 2 tbsp of salt + 4 tbsp of sugar + 1/2 tbsp of pepper + 1 tbsp of dark soya sauce. Leave to rest in at least 1hr or over nite for best result.
*** No fish sauce added is my only advise.
– Cooked eggs until boiled and peeled, mixed with 1/2 tbsp of dark soya sauce. Leave to rest
– Over high heat large cooking pot, sauté 1/2 of chopped shallot + 1/2 tbsp of garlic, until fragrant.
– Add pork & chilli. Stir well until fragrant, and until the meat turn golden-ish (be patient though, it might take up to 1 or 2 hours)
– Continue adding eggs, mixed well before adding coconut juice, or 2 cup of water if you can not find fresh coconut juice.
– Simmer for another 4 hour over med heat. Leave to rest
– Simmer for 1 hour again before serve
Erin M. ❤